Monday, June 11, 2012

The Amazing Average-Guy and The Madagascar Debacle

     So yesterday, I had my second date with my high school crush, Jodie, all growed up and gorgeous. Which went very well, actually, I think. I'll keep you posted.

     Anyway....

     She is a fan of the Madagascar series of movies, so we talked about seeing the third Madagascar movie. You know those movies, right? They're pretty popular. Alex the lion (voiced by one of my favorites, Ben Stiller), Marty the zebra, Gloria the hippo, and Melman, the hypochondriac giraffe. And the penguins. Can't forget the penguins. After Marty wants to experience the wild, pampered and spoiled New York City zoo animal Alex and crew find themselves shipped off to far off Madagascar where they find things aren't as easy in the city.

     Part 2 finds the gang in Africa after a failed attempt to get home, where they get involved in their own individual adventures.


     Totally dedicated to showing her a good time, I agreed to seeing the exploits of Alex and the gang as they are pursued across Europe in this new installment. I'm all for it. There's just one... small... problem. I hadn't seen the other two. I know, right?! She pretty much couldn't believe it either. So, ever so graciously, she agreed to introduce me to the world of Madagascar. So we skipped the third film and watched Madagascar 1 and 2. I liked them. I definitely want to see the third one. Those penguins crack me up.

     The whole Madagascar Debacle, as it will heretofore be known, got me thinking. There are a lot of kid-type movies that I haven't seen. Stuff I really should have seen. I mean, I'm a comic book nerd and card-carrying dork! I love cartoons! So, we compiled a list of popular kids movies I haven't seen that I'm going to make an effort to see this year. Try not to be too surprised. They are:
  1. Kung Fu Panda 2. I saw KFP 1 and loved it. Just haven't managed to see 2. But it's actually on my DVR so I will get around to it.
  2. Shrek 2 and 3. I actually didn't like Shrek that much, but I'm willing to go back and watch them and give it another try.
  3. Puss In Boots. Funny, I hear, but a Shrek spinoff.  Still, I could give it a try.
  4. Cars and Cars 2. Yes, I know they're popular and awesome but I can't make myself get interested in a film about talking cars. There's a scene in the movie where Lightning McQueen is driving past a field full of lettuce or cabbage or something. Why does a world full of cars need lettuce? I can't get past that. But, it's on the list. Actually, I may just hold off on these until Pixar decides to give me a sequel to The Incredibles. Call it a strike. Or a boycott. 
  5. Rango. Although reviews say it's really not kid-friendly. 
  6. The Little Mermaid. Shut it. Don't judge. 
  7. Toy Story 2 and 3. I saw Toy Story and it's one of my favorites but the sequels passed me by. I see a pattern emerging with sequels.
  8. The Tale of Despereaux  This one I can't explain. I wanted to see it but it escaped my attention.
  9. Open Season I haven't seen any of these, which is odd. I think they were coming out at the same time Hoodwinked and Hoodwinked 2 came out. Now those were great. 
  10. Wall*E. This one just didn't interest me. It could be that I'm really very upset about my sequel to The Incredibles.
  11. A Bug's Life. Another Pixar film. Yep. Definitely a pattern forming.
  12. Ice Age. Nope. These either.
     So there you have it. Pretty lame indeed. And I'm sure there are more. And I can add Madagascar 3 to this list, too. That will be soon. I've definitely become a fan of Alex and the gang.

     If you've seen any of the above movies, let me know what you thought about them. I need all the reviews I can get. And what do you guys think about an Incredibles sequel? Why do I have 3 Toy Story films and 2 Cars films but I can't get a sequel to The Incredibles? Tragic! Tragic, I say.



     Before I turn the lights off here, I'd like to ask you guys to check out the video below, if you have a couple of minutes to spare. My friend Teri's niece, who is in the video and is the thin one with the blondish-brown hair, and one of her friends made this for a chance to have it shown on Ellen DeGeneres' show. If you watch it and you like it, please share it. The girls want it to go viral and I told them I'd help make that happen. The link is posted below. The video is freakin' hilarious and definitely worth your time. Thanks for your help.

     Have a great week.






No comments:

Post a Comment